There are thousands of things on earth that are poisonous to humans. Some are found in nature such as poisonous berries, snake venom and spider bites. Others are manmade, like carbon monoxide and chemical cleaning agents.
Think it will never happen to you? Think again.
Last year, there were 2.2 million incidents of human poisoning, according to the National Poison Control Center. 8% of those resulted in serious illness or death. Pediatric patients (children and babies) experienced unintentional poisoning at a much higher rate than adults.
Knowing how to take action could save your life or the life of a loved one.
What can you do if you think someone has been poisoned?
- If the patient is showing signs of a life-threatening emergency such as unresponsiveness, confusion, difficulty breathing or seizures:
- Call 9-1-1 immediately
- If necessary, begin CPR (if victim is unresponsive and not breathing)
- Call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222 for information on how to treat the poisoning while waiting for the ambulance.
- If the patient is not experiencing a life-threatening symptom:
- Call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222 for advice on treatment.
The Poison Control hotline features live help from experts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Put the number into your cell phone! 1-800-222-1222
To learn more First Aid and CPR skills, sign up for a class today!